Hong Kong's skilled immigration programs
10 January 2011
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.
If you wish to work in Hong Kong one of the most successful economies in Asia, it may be worth considering a Hong Kong skilled immigration programme. There are a number of options available if you have the right skills and experience and wish to live and work in Hong Kong: the General Employment Policy (GEP) program for skilled workers with a job offer, and the General Points Test (GPT).
General Employment Policy
Foreign nationals with a job offer in Hong Kong who possess the right combination of skills, knowledge, and experience can immigrate to Hong Kong under the General Employment Policy (GEP) program.
- 26 September 2014 The Filipino emigrant workforce
- 26 September 2014 The new center of Call-Centers – the Philippines
- 01 September 2014 Qatar World Cup: Migrant workers unpaid for a year
- 18 June 2014 Poll: Rich Chinese want to emigrate
As wells as an offer of employment you will also need to show that you have relevant qualifications and experience for the job. The wage levels will also need to be at the prevailing wage for the job in the same profession.
General Points Test
The GPT is a points based immigration scheme similar to that offered by the UK and Australia. Individuals are assessed against a combination of criteria including age, language skills, academic qualifications, and work experience. A job offer from a Hong Kong employer is not required under this scheme.
Currently, you must score at least 80 points under the GPT test, which is subject to change from time to time.
The following is a quick breakdown of Hong Kong's skilled immigration points test:
- 18-39 -- 30 points
- 40-44 -- 20 points
- 45-50 -- 15 points
- 51+ -- 0 points
- Two or more Doctoral degrees -- 45 points
- Doctoral degree / Two or more Masters degrees -- 40 points
- Masters degree / Two or more Bachelors degrees -- 35 points
- Bachelors degree / Professional Qualification -- 30 points
Work Experience at Professional or Specialist Level
- 10+ years (5 in a senior role) -- 50 points
- 5+ years (2 years in senior role) -- 40 points
- 5+ years -- 30 points
- 2+ years -- 10 points
- Written and Spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) and English -- 20 points
- Written and Spoken Foreign Language and Written and Spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English -- 15 points
- Written and Spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English -- 10 points
- At least one immediate family member is a Hong Kong permanent resident -- 5 points
- Accompanying spouse is educated at degree level or above -- 5 points
- 5 points for each accompanying unmarried dependent child under 18 years of age (max of 10 points) -- 5/10 points
Hong Kong offers a progressive environment in a region often described as "East meets West". It is one of the World's leading international financial centres and is known for its low taxation and for being a free trade area.
If you wish to live and work abroad, Hong Kong offers a great opportunity to you if you have the right skills. For more information on immigrating to Hong Kong, give us a call.