UK Visa offices in Egypt temporarily closed
14 February 2011
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.
The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has announced that their visa application centres in Cairo and Alexandria, Egypt have been closed temporarily due to the ongoing security situation.
This also affects some visa applications for people located in Sudan and Yemen as applications for certain types of visa applications for nationals of these two countries are processed in Cairo.
- 05 December 2013 UK minister calls for cap on EU immigration
- 05 December 2013 UK Prime Minister says Asian chefs will be able to come to UK
- 04 December 2013 Poll shows UK negative about EU immigration
- 02 December 2013 UK Immigration Minister says 'targeted' spot checks will continue
For people located in Egypt, Sudan, and Yemen, the UK Border Agency recommends checking the local visa agency websites for alternative arrangements and regular updates:
- UKBA visa application centres in Egypt (select Egypt from the drop down list)
- UKBA in Yemen
- UKBA visa application centre in Sudan (select Sudan from the drop down list)
The UK Border Agency has also stated that Egyptians and others who are in the UK under an expired visa and who cannot leave due to the current situation should not be unduly worried. UKBA understand that at the current time there are exceptional circumstances that mean that many people unable to go back to Egypt at the current time. If you are in this situation you should keep proof of your original travel plans and make arrangements to leave the country as soon as possible once the situation has changed.