Children of parents in Crown and similar services
Different rules apply to children
- born outside the UK and,
- on or after 21 May 2002, in the qualifying territories,
- to British citizens in Crown service, in service designated by the Home Secretary, and
- in the service of a European Community institution.
- a British citizen (whether otherwise than by descent or by descent);
- you are working outside the UK (or UK and qualifying territories if the child was born on or after 21 May 2002) in one of the types of service and
- in the UK; or
- a qualifying territory if the child was born on or after 21 May 2002; or
- in the European Community (in the case of service with a European Community institution)
then your child will automatically be a British citizen otherwise than by descent at birth, without the need for registration.
But your child will be entitled to be registered at the Home Office as a British citizen in certain circumstances. Please see the registration section on this website.