Canada and the US announce new border agreement
08 December 2011
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.The United States and Canada announced this week plans for a joint border protection and trade deal. The goal is to develop common practices to screen travellers and cargo, with both countries agreeing it will clamp down on terrorism while expediting the border-crossing process for legitimate Canadian and American travellers and businesses.
- 18 November 2013 Canadian immigration announces changes to Canadian Experience Class
- 07 November 2013 Canada's 2014 immigration plan to 'drive economic growth'
- 25 October 2013 Canadian immigration launches new entrepreneur visa stream
- 07 October 2013 Canadian immigration strike over
"These agreements create a new, modern order for a new century," Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said at a joint news conference with US President Barack Obama. "Together, they represent the most significant steps forward in Canada-U.S. co-operation since the North American Free Trade Agreement."
The reforms aim to integrate programs for Canada-US border security and to streamline the flow of goods between the two countries through pre-inspection and pre-clearance.
Among other changes, there will be more opportunities for Canadian and US travellers to obtain NEXUS cards in order to gain faster clearance at border crossings. The joint Canadian-US NEXUS traveler program allows low-risk travelers to cross the border more easily as long as they're willing to submit to a background check, provide fingerprints and other personal data.
Other aspects of the "Beyond the Border" plan are as follows:
- Enhance tracking of travellers in both countries so they can identify criminals who seek to enter either country.
- A new entry-exit system will be established in which both countries share information on when their citizens have crossed the border.
- Each country will obtain more information, including biometric data, from people in foreign nations seeking to come to the US and to Canada.
If you would like to apply for a US or Canadian visa WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.