New rules for UK Tier 4 and Tier 1 visas for students
14 February 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.UK immigration has announced new rules that UK immigration says will reduce abuse of the student visa route. UK Immigration Minister Damian Green announced the complete list of changes today.
- 06 March 2014 UK immigration committee recommends Tier 1 visa-auction
- 05 March 2014 British employers desperate for Romanians
- 04 March 2014 UK minister blames Indian press for fall in student visas
- 03 March 2014 UK benefits from EU immigration, says European Commissioner
The new rules also require graduates applying under Tier 2 (General) to have an offer of a skilled job at a salary of at least £20,000 (or more in some cases) from a reputable employer accredited by the UK Border Agency in order to continue living and working in the UK.
Other changes include:
- A new Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur route will be introduced, with up to 1,000 places for students working on world-class innovative ideas who want to stay and develop them but do not meet the requirements of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur route. Entrepreneurs under this new route will be able to stay in the UK and switch into the Tier 1 Entrepreneur route if they invest £50,000 in their business.
- There will be an increase in the amount of money that students and working immigrants and their dependents must prove they have to support themselves financially during their time in the UK.
- Work placements will be restricted to one-third of the course time for international students who are studying below degree level on Tier 4 Student Visas. The rules for students studying at degree level or above will remain the same. Students at this level will be able spend half their time at work placement so long as at least the other half their time comprises of formal studies.
- The time that can be spent studying at degree level on a Tier 4 Student Visa will be restricted to a general limit of 5 years.
"With the introduction of the Graduate Entrepreneur route and the restrictions on student work, we are reforming the system to deliver immigration to benefit Britain."
Additionally, UK immigration announced they are preparing to introduce further changes to UK Immigration Rules for employment related settlement (permanent residents), overseas domestic workers, and Tiers 2 and 5 of the points-based system. Further announcements regarding these changes, which are also planned for April, will be made as soon as possible.
If you would like to apply for a UK visa WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.