Australian immigration announces changes to the permanent employer-sponsored visa program
14 March 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.Australian Immigration and Citizenship Minister Chris Bowen has announced significant changes to simplify the process for the permanent employer-sponsored visa program.
- 14 November 2014 Australian Senate votes to save family visas
- 11 November 2014 Australia announces new investor visa
- 05 November 2014 Thousands of foreign workers expected to apply for Australian visas
- 03 November 2014 Australian visit visa reforms may be required to attract more tourists
- Employer Nomination Scheme visa Subclasses 856 and 121
- Regional Skilled Migration Scheme visa Subclasses 857 and 119
- Labour Agreement visa Subclasses 855 and 120
Among the changes, Bowen said the immigration department will remove the language testing requirement for existing 457 visa holders who apply for residency and will also increase the upper age limit from 45 to 50 for permanent residence applications.
"We know these workers can do the job and are ready to make a commitment to Australia, so it makes sense to streamline their pathway to permanent residence," Bowen said.
Other changes include:
- Introduction of 3 distinct eligibility streams - 457 holders, direct applicants and Labour Agreement applicants
- Changes to qualification and skill requirements for ENS and RSMS
- Creating a single skilled occupation which applies to ENS, 457 and State/Territory Sponsored Points Tested visas
- Introduction of market rate salary for ENS and RSMS
- Higher training requirements for ENS
"Notwithstanding the slow growth seen in employment over the past year, businesses across the economy are still experiencing skill shortages in key occupations, especially those in demand by the resources sector such as in engineering and the skilled trades," said Willox.
The visa changes are expected to come into effect 1 July 2012.
If you would like to apply for an Australian visa, WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.