The Canadian government's main skilled immigration programme, the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), will re-open on May 4th 2013. It was closed down temporarily by Canadian immigration minister Jason Kenney in June 2012. At the time, Mr Kenney said he would reform the system and re-open it in January 2013. He later announced that this date would be delayed until May 2013.
Successful applicants under the FSWP will receive a Canadian permanent resident visa. When the FSWP reopens in May, one way of qualifying will be to have at least one year's work experience (full time, paid) in the past decade in a profession listed on the new Canadian Eligible Professions List. There will be a maximum of 300 visas granted to professionals in each category on the list with a maximum of 5,000 eligible professions list visas in total. The full list was revealed by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on April 18th 2013.
The Eligible Professions List
- 0211 Engineering managers
- 1112 Financial and investment analysts
- 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
- 2131 Civil engineers
- 2132 Mechanical engineers
- 2134 Chemical engineers
- 2143 Mining engineers
- 2144 Geological engineers
- 2145 Petroleum engineers
- 2146 Aerospace engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
- 2154 Land surveyors
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
- 2263 Inspectors in public & environmental health & occupational health & safety
- 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
- 3143 Occupational Therapists
- 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
- 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
- 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists & cardiopulmonary technologists
- 3215 Medical radiation technologists
- 3216 Medical sonographers
- 3217 Cardiology technicians and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, not elsewhere classified
Workpermit.com will provide a more detailed summary of the new requirements nearer the time.
If you would like to apply for a Canadian visa WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.