Most popular Australian immigration destinations
22 December 2009
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.
- In the period 2008-08 69 456 skilled migrants came to Australia.
- 55 per cent of skilled immigrants moved to New South Wales and Victoria.
- 19 071 immigrants settled in New South Wales and 18 630 immigrants settled in Victoria.
Major Immigration Source Countries were the following:
This includes figures for skilled, family and humanitarian immigration
- By birth the greatest immigration source Countries are New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Almost 30 per cent of the 158 021 new immigrants in 2008-09 came from these two Countries.
- Indian immigration went up from 15 338 to 17,283.
- Chinese immigration went up from 12,959 to 15,803.
- South African immigration went up from 5166 to 7201.
Australia remained a popular immigration destination during the economic downturn. Australia did relatively well compared to many Countries during the period 2008-09. Levels of unemployment continue to go down as more and more jobs are created in Australia.