Australian university graduates can now apply for the Post-Study Work Visa
06 December 2011
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.The Australian government has announced this week that more international students will be eligible for the Post-Study work visa as part of the Australian government's response to the Knight Review of the student visa program.
- 20 May 2015 Australian Immigration Detention Centres to Close to Save Money
- 07 May 2015 Iran should take back failed Asylum-Seekers says Australia
- 15 April 2015 Australian Immigration Department in World Leaders' Security Breach
- 05 March 2015 Australian Prime Minister announces stricter Immigration Rules
"These changes bring Australia into line with arrangements in other countries and enable education providers to offer a more competitive package to international students who are seeking good quality and long-term study in Australia, regardless of their field of interest,"said Evans.
Currently, more than 80 percent of foreign students enrolled at the Bachelor degree level or above use the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) to stay in Australia after they graduate. Additionally, some students who obtain qualifications other than a Bachelor degree or above can use the Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa, which provides an 18-month stay in Australia to study or work but requires applicants meet the qualifications for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
The new arrangements will extend the visa stay period to two years, while Masters by research or PhD students will be eligible for stays of three and four years respectively.
In order to be eligible for the Post-Study Work visa, graduates must meet the following criteria:
- Graduates must have completed a Bachelor degree or higher level course in Australia in the last six months.
- Graduates must complete their degrees after at least two academic years' study in Australia
- Applicants must demonstrate competent English language abilities
For students who obtain qualifications other than a Bachelor degree or above, like a vocational degree, the existing Temporary Skilled Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) will still be available. This visa allows graduates to stay up to 18 months for those who have occupations on the Skilled Occupation List.
If you would like to apply for an Australian visa, WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.