General Skilled Migration (SkillSelect)
IntroductionSkilled migration visas provide one of the best opportunities for skilled workers to live and work in Australia. Under the Australian General Skilled Migration program, skilled migrant and skilled worker applicants can use their qualifications, work experience and language ability to meet the Australian immigration requirements for a permanent Australia visa.
In 2012, Australian immigration's introduced a new skilled worker program, called the Skilled Migrant Selection Register, known as SkillSelect. In order to apply, you need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). The SkillSelect will work as an electronic two-stage process where prospective visa applicants first submit a claim for skilled migration through an online EOI. Following this, applicants may then be invited to submit an Australian visa application on the basis of their EOI.
Australian visa applicants will be selected based on their points test score in a number of selection criteria. All prospective visa applicants will be required to meet the relevant English language requirements and obtain the necessary skills assessment prior to their EOI submission. However, unlike now you will have to also be approved by SkillSelect to obtain your visa. This brings in greater uncertainty compared to the current system.
Closed Visa Subclasses
As of 1 July 2012, the following visas are closed to all new applications:
- Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)
- Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)
As of 1 January 2013, the following visas are closed to all new applications:
- Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)
- Skilled – Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)
New Visa Subclasses
- Australia's Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) replaced the Skilled - Independent Subclass 175 and 885 visas.
- Skilled - Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa: A permanent visa replacing the Skilled - Sponsored Subclass 175 and 886 visas. This option requires nomination by a State or Territory Government.
- Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (Subclass 489) Visa will be replacing the Skilled - Regional Sponsored Subclass 475 and 487 visas.