Canadian Immigration redesigns website to help employers find skilled workers
15 March 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.Canadian Immigration announced last week that they will provide more help to local employers seeking to recruit immigrant workers from abroad for both permanent and temporary positions.
"The economy and job growth remain the number one priority of the Government," said Immigration Minister Jason Kenney. "Labour shortages are becoming a growing problem in many regions, and this website will help employers access information that will help them hire permanent or temporary foreign workers when no Canadians are able to fill a position."
Employers can learn what steps are needed in order to bring in foreign workers to Canada either on a temporary or permanent basis, or to hire international students studying in Canada. CIC is also reaching out directly to local employers through public consultations to explain the benefits of the new website.
Under the Canadian skilled worker category overseas workers can apply independently for Canadian skilled immigration. However, there are only ten thousand visas available for only twenty-nine occupations available under this category. Canadian employers can also sponsor an immigrant's visa application as long as there is a shortage of your skills in Canada.
Foreign workers wishing to immigrate to Canada can come under the following visa programs:
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program - Allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages.
- International Student Program - Students who have come to Canada to study are eligible to apply for work permits.
- Federal Skilled Worker Program - Assesses applicants based on their ability to adapt to Canada's labour market. CIC currently has an annual cap of 10,000 new applications under this program and caps of 500 for each of the 29 occupations, but applicants with qualifying job offers are not affected by the cap.
- Provincial Nominee Program - Provinces and territories can nominate foreign workers for permanent immigration.
- Canadian Experience Class - Allows temporary foreign workers and foreign students who graduated in Canada to apply to stay permanently.
The new website also features a Foreign Credentials Referral Office that offers information and services on the Canadian labour market and Canada's credential assessment processes.
If you would like to apply for a Canadian visa WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com has been dealing with visa applications for over twenty years. We have an in-house immigration attorney and would be delighted to have an opportunity to help you with your visa application. Please feel free to contact us for further details.