Changes to Australia's employer-sponsored visa program from 1 July 2012
18 April 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.Several significant changes will go into effect 1 July 2012 in order to simplify the process of applying under Australia's permanent employer-sponsored visa program. Australian immigration said the reforms will improve the program's ability to meet Australia's economic needs and respond quickly to labour market demand.
- Two Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visas (Subclasses 856 and 121)
- Two Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visas (Subclasses 857 and 119)
- Two Labour Agreements program visas (Subclasses 855 and 120)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
Within each of these visa subclasses there will be three streams:
- Temporary Residence Transition stream: This is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for their employer for at least the last two years and the employer wants to offer them a permanent position in that same occupation.
- Direct Entry stream: This is for applicants who are untested in the Australian labour market and have not held a subclass 457 for at least the last two years or are applying directly from outside Australia.
- Agreement stream: This is for applicants who are being sponsored by an employer through a negotiated labour agreement or regional migration agreement.
- Introducing a fast-track path to permanent residency for eligible temporary skilled 457 visa-holders.
- Removing the language testing requirement for existing 457 visa holders who apply for residency
- Raising the upper age limit from 45 to 50 for permanent residence applications.
If you wish to apply for a skilled immigration visa you should start preparing now so that you are ready to submit your application before 1 July 2012.
If you would like to apply for an Australian visa, WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with nearly twenty-five years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.