Australia creates skilled migration advisory council
09 July 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.Australian Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has announced the creation of the Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration (MACSM) which will provide the Australian government with expert advice on the role of skilled migration in the Australian economy.
- 18 June 2013 Latest Australian immigration and visa figures from the OECD
- 06 June 2013 Australian immigration minister introduces legislation to help win The Ashes
- 30 May 2013 Advisor to Australian immigration minister says 457 visa abuse is 'limited'
- 29 May 2013 Australian parliament introduces law allowing immigrants to be 'processed offshore'
Bowen said the council members had been chosen from a wide range of backgrounds; They have been chosen for their relevant experience, and professional expertise. They will provide advice to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship on Australia's temporary and permanent skilled migration programs. This includes reviewing the impact of skilled migration on the Australian economy and labour market, looking at the size and composition of the annual migration program, and considering the contribution of skilled migration to net overseas migration.
MACSM will inevitably be compared with the UK Migration Advisory Committee. It is expected that the Australian Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration will be more pro-immigration than the UK MAC.
Members of the new council include:
- Michael Easson, chair of the council and executive chair of the EG Property Group
- Grant O'Brien, Managing Director and CEO Woolworths
- James Pearson, Chief Executive of Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA
- Karen Read, General Manager of Financial Services, Commercial and Administration, Xstrata
- Innes Willox, Chief Executive of Australian Industry Group
- Paul Howes, National Secretary of Australian Workers' Union
- Ged Kearney, President of Australian Council of Trade Unions
- Peter McDonald, Director of Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
- Dave Noonan, National Secretary of Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union
- Peter Tighe, National Secretary of Communications, Electrical and Plumbing Union of Australia.
If you would like to apply for an Australian visa, workpermit.com can help. workpermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with nearly twenty-five years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.