US House Committee passes bill to allow Israelis to apply for E-2 Treaty Investor visas
05 March 2012
For concise and recent immigration information watch our news.The US passed new legislation that would add Israel to the list of countries eligible for E-2 temporary foreign investor visas. The legislation was approved by the US House of Representatives Judiciary Committee this week.
- 28 July 2015 US Immigration from Mexico declines according to study
- 24 July 2015 US 'sanctuary cities' ignoring immigration laws
- 15 July 2015 Hillary Clinton Criticizes Republicans on Immigration
- 13 July 2015 US immigration: DAPA executive order heard by appeals court
Currently, there are 76 countries eligible for a US E-2 non-immigrant investor visa. Countries include: Albania, the UK, Australia, Ireland, and Germany, and the Ukraine. In fiscal year 2010, over 25,500 nationals from these countries including their dependents were granted E-2 visas.
Under the new bill, investors from Israel would be allowed to live and work in the US initially for a period of two years, and could then apply for extensions in two-year increments.
In order to be eligible for the E-2 Treaty Investor visa applicants must:
- Be a national of a country that the US has a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
- Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a new or existing US business;
- Be seeking to enter the US solely to develop and direct the US business. This is established by showing at least 50 percent ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position.
- Be engaging in duties at an executive or supervisory level, or have special skills or qualifications such as specialist knowledge of the organisation's products or services.
It is still unclear when the changes will be put into action and when Israelis can begin to apply for the visa.
If you would like to apply for a US visa, WorkPermit.com can help. WorkPermit.com is a specialist visa consultancy with over twenty years of experience dealing with visa applications. We can help with a wide range of visa applications to your country of choice. Please feel free to contact us for further details.