US E-2, E-1 and E-3 Treaty Visas

US E-2 Treaty Investor Visa and E-1 Treaty Trader visas overview

Over the years the United States has signed treaties of 'Friendship, Commerce and Navigation' with many Countries in the World which is a requirement to come under the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Scheme or E-1 Treaty Trader Visa scheme. These treaties are designed to promote trade and investment between the USA and the other contracting state, as well as encouraging good relations between the US and the treaty Country.  The USA has also entered into a number of Bilateral Investment Treaties with many former communist states, designed to promote investment and trade.   Nationals of many former Eastern Bloc Countries can come under the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa scheme and E-1 Treaty Trader visa scheme. 

Nationals (individuals or companies) of countries with such Treaties with the United States can obtain visas to work in the USA in order to develop and direct their investment in and/or trade with the USA. Such visas are called E-2 and E-1 visas.  There is also the E-3 visa which is meant for professional level Australians who have a job offer in the US:

  • E-1 Treaty Trader For businesses and individuals engaged in substantial international trade between the US and the treaty investor country. The volume of trade must be sufficient to justify the trader or his/her employee being in the United States to manage the trade, and must constitute the majority of the trader's international trade.

  • E-2 Treaty Investor For those who have made a significant investment in a US business in which the investor has at least a 50% ownership. The investment must be sufficient to justify the investor or his/her employees being in the United States, and must be in an active US business - not simply in stocks or property.

  • E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia For Australian nationals to come to the US to engage in a specialty occupation role. Applicants for this visa must have a bachelor's degree or higher, and the job applied for must require this qualification to be considered a specialty occupation.

Further information, help, and advice's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the US. All applications for US visas are dealt with in-house by a US qualified lawyer that is usually also a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

For more information and advice on US immigration law and US visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at