US Green Card Lottery
- Check your eligibility for US Green Card Lottery
How do I meet the Country of Birth Requirements?
To be eligible to apply for the Green Card Lottery you must show that you are a 'native' of a country whose citizens are entitled to apply. The good news is that citizens of almost all countries in the world can apply. In 2012, there were only 18 countries whose citizens were not entitled to apply. In In addition, you may be able to apply as a 'native' of an eligible country even if you come from an ineligible country.
This is because of the peculiar definition of 'native' used by the State Department for the DV Lottery.
You can show that you are a 'native' of an eligible country if:
- You were born in an eligible country or
- Your spouse was born in an eligible country or
- If both your parents were
- born in an eligible country
- not long-term residents of your birth country when you were born
Which Countries are excluded from the US Green Card Lottery?
A country is excluded from the Green Card Lottery when over 50,000 people from that country emigrated to the US in the previous five years.
In 2012, natives of the following countries were NOT eligible to apply for this reason.
- CHINA (mainland-born)
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- EL SALVADOR
- SOUTH KOREA
- UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland)