US Green Card Lottery
- Check your eligibility for US Green Card Lottery
Photograph requirements for the Green Card Lottery
You will need to provide a photograph of each person included in the application.
Your submission will be automatically rejected and you will be notified if your photograph is not in the following format:
- The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format.
- The image must be either in color or grayscale; monochrome images (2-bit color depth) will not be accepted.
- If a new digital photograph is taken, it must have a resolution of 320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide, and a color depth of either 24-bit color, 8-bit color, or 8-bit grayscale.
- If a photographic print is scanned, the print must be 2 inches by 2 inches (50mm x 50mm) square. It must be scanned at a resolution of 150 dots per inch (dpi) and with a color depth of either 24-bit color, 8-bit color, or 8-bit grayscale.
- The maximum image size accepted will be sixty-two thousand five hundred (62,500) bytes.
Need help? See our Image Scanning FAQ
DV 2011 Photo Specifications: If photos do not conform to the following specifications, the entry will be disqualified:
- The Applicant, spouse, or child must be directly facing the camera; the head of the person being photographed should not be tilted up, down or to the side, and should cover about 50% of the area of the photo.
- The photo should be taken with the person being photographed in front of a neutral, light-colored background. Photos taken with very dark or patterned, busy backgrounds will not be accepted.
- Photos in which the face of the person being photographed is not in focus will not be accepted.
- Photos in which the person being photographed is wearing sunglasses or other paraphernalia which detracts from the face will not be accepted.
- Photos of applicants wearing head coverings or hats are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and even then, may not obscure any portion of the face of the applicant. Photos of applicants with tribal or other headgear not specifically religious in nature is not acceptable. Photos of military, airline or other personnel wearing hats will not be accepted.
- Photos may be either color or black and white.