Skilled Independent (subclass 885)
- Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)
- Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
- Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)
The following visas are closed to new applications from 1 January 2013:
- Skilled - Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)
- Skilled - Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)
- Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)
Skilled visa options are now available under the SkillSelect program.
The Skilled Independent (subclass 885) visa is a permanent visa for migrants who want to immigrate to Australia based upon skills and experience which Australia considers in need.
This visa replaced the previous Skilled - Independent Overseas Student (subclass 880) visa on 01 September 2007. The visa can only be applied for by individuals who are already in Australia on a valid visa. They must also be in Australia when the visa is granted.
This visa is assessed by a points system, with 65 points required to pass.
A number of requirements must be met to receive an onshore Skilled Independent (subclass 885) visa.
Applicants must hold one of the following visas when they apply:
- A student visa (excluding ELICOS, government sponsored, AusAid and Defence Sector Student visas)
- Either a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B granted because a valid application for a visa other than an ineligible student visa has been made or a substantive visa other than an ineligible student visa -- and the applicant has held an eligible student visa for the last six months
- A Skilled - Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)
- A Skilled - Graduate visa (subclass 485)
- A Trade Skills Training visa (subclass 471)
Age and Language Requirements
Applicants must be 50 years of age or under or hold a Skilled - Graduate visa.
Applicants must meet English language requirements of competent English.
Applicants must nominate an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The applicant must also have applied for a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for the applicant's nominated occupation.
The applicant must also have either:
- met the two year study requirement in the last six months with Australian qualifications closely related to their nominated occupation; or
- if the applicant hold's a Skilled - Graduate (subclass 485) visa or a Skilled - Recognised Graduate (subclass 476) visa, nominated an occupation closely related to the study used to obtain that visa; or
- if the applicant hold's a Trade Skills Training (subclass 471) visa, has completed the apprenticeship for which the visa was granted and which is closely related to the nominated occupation
Applicants must also have a suitable skills assessment in the nominated occupation and meet the points test threshold of 65 points, as well as meet all health and character requirements.