ArchiveYou are in the workpermit.com archive section. The information on this page may be out of date.
This visa, valid for three years, replaced the Skilled – Independent Regional (subclass 495) visa and the Skilled – Designated Area Sponsored (subclass 496) visa on 01 September 2007.
Skilled – Regional Sponsored visa holders can apply for a permanent Skilled – Regional visa once they have lived for two years and worked full-time for one year in a specified regional area of Australia.
This visa is assessed by a points system, with 65 points required to pass.
A number of requirements must be met to receive an onshore Skilled Regional Sponsored (subclass 487) visa.
Applicants for this visa must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or a State/Territory government.
Applicants must hold one of the following visas when they apply:
- A student visa (excluding ELICOS, government sponsored, AusAid and Defence Sector Student visas)
- Either a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B granted because a valid application for a visa other than an ineligible student visa has been made or a substantive visa other than an ineligible student visa -- and the applicant has held an eligible student visa for the last six months
- A Skilled - Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)
- A Skilled - Graduate visa (subclass 485)
- A Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
- An Occupational Trainee visa (subclass 422)
- A Trade Skills Training visa (subclass 471)
Age and Language Requirements
Applicants must be under 45 years of age or hold a Skilled - Graduate visa.
Applicants must meet the following English language requirements competent English.
Applicants must nominate an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The applicant must also have applied for a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for the applicant's nominated occupation.
The applicant must also have either:
- met the two year study requirement in the last six months with Australian qualifications closely related to their nominated occupation; or
- if the applicant holds a Skilled - Graduate (subclass 485) visa or a Skilled - Recongised Graduate (subclass 476) visa, nominated an occupation closely related to the study used to obtain that visa; or
- if the applicant holds a Trade Skills Training (subclass 471) visa, has completed the apprenticeship for which the visa was granted and which is closely related to the nominated occupation; or
- if the applicant holds an Occupationa Trainee visa (subclass 442), have completed the traineeship for which the visa was granted; or
- if the applicant holds a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417), has held that visa for at least six months
Applicants must also have a suitable skills assessment in the nominated occupation and meet the points test threshold of 65 points, as well as meet all health and character requirements.