Working Holiday Programme
The Working Holiday Programme (WHP) is aimed at young people, usually between 18 and 35, who wish to visit Canada for up to 12 months and work to finance their trip. The programme is offered to citizens of several countries around the world.
Workpermit.com does not deal with this type of visa application, but you should find the process is straightforward and inexpensive to deal with independently. For detailed information on how to apply you should contact the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
The following information is aimed at French and Belgian citizens who wish to take part in the WHP in Canada, or Quebec in particular.
For information on the WHP in other countries, and in Canada for citizens of countries other than France and Belgium, please see our main section on the Canadian Working Holiday Program.
- be aged between 18 and 35 at the time of application
- be a French or Belgian citizen and be resident in France or Belgium, respectively, at the time of application
- be in possession of a French or Belgian passport, valid for the entire duration of the stay in Canada
- not have taken part previously in the WHP
- have at least 700 € at their disposal for each of the first three months of the prospective stay in Canada, i.e. be able to prove funds of at least 2 100 €
- be prepared to sign up to an insurance policy covering health, hospitalisation and repatriation, valid for the entire duration of the stay
- completed WHP form, signed and dated
- four identical, recent passport-style photographs
- a photocopy of the identification pages of your passport (name, surname, date and place of birth, issue and expiry dates)
- curriculum vitae
- proof of at least 2 100 € of funding (700 € for each of the first three months of your stay)
- letter of motivation outlining the reasons for your trip, duration, envisaged itinerary etc
Note that the WHP is not suitable if you wish to:
- spend more than 6-12 months in Canada
- find a stage or internship placement
- work in Canada with view to obtaining permanent residence status
Under the terms of the progamme you cannot:
- have a long-term contract in Canada
- participate more than once in the programme
- extend or renew your WHP work permit
WHP work permits can be used to hold one or more jobs in any part of Canada.
Note that all WHP applications for France and Belgium are processed by the Canadian Embassy in Paris, not the Embassy in Brussels.