This is the third possibility for business immigration to Canada, and concerns self-employed individuals. As a self-employed person, you must have relevant experience in cultural activities, athletics or farm management. You must also have the intention and ability to establish a business that will, at a minimum, create employment for yourself. You must make a significant contribution to cultural activities or athletics or purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
No immigration conditions are imposed on this class. However, you must be able to:
- Demonstrate at least 2 years experience of self-employment in cultural activities or in athletics, and participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics, or farm management experience;
- Possess sufficient funds to support their family upon their arrival;
- Possess the intention and ability to establish a business that will generate self-employment;
- Make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or purchase and manage a farm in Canada;
- Earn sufficient points in the selection factors to meet the pass mark. The selection factors include points awarded for education, proficiency in Canadian official languages, work experience, age, and adaptability factors to life in Canada.
Quebec Self-Employed Program
The Quebec Self-Employed Program is geared towards applicants who will generate their own employment by practicing an occupation for which they possess previous experience.
In order to apply under this program, applicants must:
- Have at least two years of experience in the occupation they intend to pursue in Quebec;
- Have a minimum net worth of $100,000 CDN of legally acquired funds (including spousal assets);
- Have the intention and ability to create their own employment by pursuing their occupation in Quebec.