Skilled Workers Programme
To be selected for immigraton as a skilled worker you must have skills and training sufficient to ensure your successful insertion into the Qubec job market. Skilled workers must have a working knowledge of French. Competence in English is also an advantage. Linguistic requirements are taken very seriously in the selection process and you may have to provide certified proof of your competence in French, issued by an organisation recognised by the Ministry of Immigration. Common examples include the Test d'évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ), available from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce in Paris, and the Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCFQ), obtained from the Centre international d'études pédagogiques (CIEP).
- education: level of eduaction acheived and discipline(s), work experience
- your age (those in the 21 – 45 age group have the greatest advantage)
- knowledge of French (and English)
- any visits you've already made to Quebec
- family ties with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Quebec
- the characteristics relating to your spouse/common-law partner, if s/he will accompany you
- your financial situation: you will have to sign a contract by which you undertake to cover the cost of all your living expenses (housing, food etc) and those of any accompanying family members for at least the first three months following your arrival in Quebec
- The possession of a job offer, validated by the authorities on behalf of the employer in Quebec, is an advantage.
- the number of accompanying children under 22
- steps you have taken to facilitate your socio-economic integration
- your personal qualities as relevant to your professional activities
The selection process
You may well have to provide extensive documentation to support your application. If the application is complete and well-presented, the assessment will be faster and more straight forward. Applicants are often required to attend an interview to complete the assessment process. This will usually be carried out by a Quebec immigration adviser.