Call for paid service +44 (0)344-991-9222

Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

Section Menu

show hide

This category allows multinational companies to transfer workers from their overseas operations to a UK branch. The sponsorship conditions for this visa are similar to those for the Tier 2 (General); the worker must have a confirmed UK job and a certificate of sponsorship from their employer, who must hold a valid Tier 2 sponsorship license.

This guide is split into the following sections:


In many cases the Tier 2 sponsorship licence employer will guarantee maintenance which will meet this requirement.  Most employers are "A rated" and are allowed to do this.  Alternatively, Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer) visa applicants must show that they have funds of at least £945, and that at no time over the last 3 months has the balance in their bank account gone below this figure.

Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Sub-categories

  • Long term staff For workers who are filling a position in the UK for a year or more. Applicants for this category must have been employed by the company overseas for at least a year, unless the UK job pays at least £73,900 a year.

Length of stay: Length of stay for long term staff is salary dependent. Those earning above £120,000 per year can stay for a maximum of 9 years. Those earning less can stay for 5 years and one month.

Minimum salary: £41,500

  • Graduate trainee For workers with a recent degree level or above qualification who are filling a position in the UK on a graduate trainee program – such as a specialist research or IT role. Applicants for this category must have been employed and/or trained by the company overseas for at least 3 months.

Length of stay: Up to one year.

Minimum salary: £23,000


Other activities and restrictions

Workers on this visa can take part in other work and study activity while in the UK. This includes , doing voluntary work, and studying outside of their working hours.

Tier 2 Visa holder and New or Additional Employment

Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Workers on this visa who wish to leave their job and work for a new employer will need a new tier 2 visa.  You cannot usually switch from Tier 2 Intra-company transfer to a Tier 2 General Visa.   Tier 2 visa holders are free to work for an additional 20 hours per week in the following circumstances:

  • In another job on the shortage occupation list or a job in the same sector and at the same professional level as the work for which the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) was assigned.
  • Outside the working hours covered by the CoS for the Tier 2 Visa.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at