Tier 2 sponsorship licence: applications and reporting duties

A UK based organisation that wishes to employ an overseas applicant in the UK on a Tier 2 visa must have a valid Tier 2 sponsorship licence, even if they want to employ the overseas applicant on a voluntary basis. For the purposes of the Tiee 2 visa, an overseas applicant is a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland.


In order to sponsor applicants, an employer will need to have registered with UK Visas and Immigration as a Licensed Sponsor. For this registration to be accepted, the employer will need to meet certain requirements for the particular category of Tier 2, and accept certain responsibilities to help with immigration control. Workpermit.com can help with Tier 2 sponsorship licence applications and registration,

For assistance please contact us on: 0344 991 9222 or at london@workpermit.com

Certificate of Sponsorship

The Tier 2 sponsor will need to grant the applicant a Certificate of Sponsorship before they can apply for leave to enter the UK, or remain in the UK, under a Tier 2 visa. The Certificate of Sponsorship will act as an assurance that the applicant is able and willing to undertake the job in question.

Sponsorship Duties

The Sponsor has a number of record keeping and reporting duties for the applicants that it sponsors.

1. Record Keeping Duties:

  • Keeping copies of the applicant's passport or UK immigration status document and contact details

2. Reporting Duties:

The UK Border Agency must be informed of the following:

  • If a sponsored migrant does not turn up for his or her first day of work

  • If a sponsored migrant is absent from work for more than 10 working days, without the sponsor's reasonably granted permission

  • If a sponsored migrant's period of engagement is ended as a result of the migrant resigning or being dismissed

  • If any registration that the sponsored migrant needs to work in the UK (such as with a governing body) is ended

  • If the sponsor stops sponsoring the migrant for any other reason (eg if the migrant moves into another mmigration route that does not require a sponsor)

  • If there are any significant changes in the migrant's circumstances (eg change of job or salary excluding annual pay rise)

  • If the Sponsor has any information which suggests that the migrant is breaching the conditions of his or her leave

  • If the Sponsor has any information which suggests that the migrant may be engaging in terrorism or other criminal activity (The Sponsor must also pass any such information to the Police)

Further information, help, and advice

Workpermit.com's team of specialists has over 25 years of experience in immigration services, and have helped thousands of people to study and work in the UK. We work with OISC registered advisers who can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0344 991 9222 or at london@workpermit.com