EEA/EU and Swiss Nationals
Swiss nationals and EEA nationals have a right to live and work in the United Kingdom. This is called a right of residence. If you are not sure if you are an EEA national, please visit the list given in our work permit section.
You have a right of residence in the United Kingdom if you are an EEA national and:
- you are working in the United Kingdom; or
- you do not work in the United Kingdom, but you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay without help from public funds. Public funds include Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.
Working in the UK
- accept offers of work;
- work (whether as an employee, in self-employment or in business);
- set up a business;
- manage a company; or
- set up a local branch of a company.
You do not need a work permit, however you may need to register as a worker under the Workers Registration Scheme.
You can live in the United Kingdom as a student, as a retired person or if you are not working, as long you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay without needing help from public funds.
A residence permit simply confirms that you have a right to live in the United Kingdom under European Community law. You will need to apply for a residence permit if your family members want to apply for a residence document.
A residence permit is normally valid for five years. However, residence permits may be issued for a shorter period if you are working or studying in the United Kingdom for less than 12 months.
You will probably not be given a residence permit if:
- you are in the United Kingdom for a short visit;
- you are looking for work;
- you will work and live in the United Kingdom for less than three months; or
- you do not work in the United Kingdom and cannot support yourself without help from public funds.
If you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia and you are working, you probably need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme before you are eligible to apply for a residence permit.