Tier 2 for Ministers of Religion
We are OISC registered and, if you are already in the UK, we can submit your visa application and get it processed on the same day! Please note that we only have a limited number of slots each week, so it is advisable to apply as early as possible. Call our London Office on 0344 991 9222 for further details.
Updated May 2013
Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)The Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa is for people who have been offered employment or a position as a
- A member of a religious order (monk, nun or similar)
- Leading religious services
- Giving religious instruction to children and adults
- Officiating at weddings, funerals and other ceremonies
- Counselling and supporting members of the community
- Organising and coordinating the work of local volunteers
- Missionary, evangelical work
- The organisation of missionary activity (but not menial clerical work)
- Supervising staff
- Being 'in charge of' a particular activity for your church (e.g. accountancy, IT)
- Translating religious texts
- Work within the order itself or
- Outside work as directed by the order
Working as a full time teacher in a school run by a religious or missionary organisation is not missionary work. A teacher in a school run by a religious organisation should apply as a teacher under the Tier 2 (General) visa stream.
Religious workers who want to come to the UK for a short period should consider coming under the Tier 5 (Temporary worker – religious worker) visa.
Summary of employer requirementsIf a UK-based religious body wants to employ a skilled worker from outside the European Economic Area on a Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa it must first
- Register with the UK Border Agency and obtain a Sponsorship License
- Advertise the job in the UK in accordance with the terms of the Resident Labour Market Test
- Issue a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship to the applicant
If you are responsible for recruitment for a UK-based religious organisation and need assistance with obtaining a Tier 2 Sponsorship License then please complete a free evaluation form
Summary of applicant requirementsIn order to be eligible for a Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa you must score 70 points in the test set out below.
Tier 2 Points Test for Ministers of Religion
- You must meet the Tier 2 Maintenance Requirement for which 10 points are awarded
- You must meet the Tier 2 English Language Requirement for which you also get 10 points. Ministers of religion are generally required to speak better English than many other Tier 2 applicants.
- You must be in possession of a valid Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship for which you score 50 points
Extension applications for Tier 2 (Ministers of religion) visasAn applicant will need to have been issued with a new Certificate of Sponsorship for his or her continued employment
After a continuous period of residency in the UK for five years under a Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain providing you meet the conditions put in place by UK immigration at the time of your application. Indefinite leave to remain is permission to remain in the UK indefinitely. It is not the same as naturalisation as a British citizen,