Tier 2 Visas for Sports People
Some UK visas can take months to be processed by UK Immigration. Or you may have to attend in person at the public enquiry office.
We are OISC registered and, if you are already in the UK, we can submit your visa application and get it processed on the same day! Please note that we only have a limited number of slots each week, so it is advisable to apply as early as possible. Call our London Office on 0344 991 9222 for further details.
Updated May 2013
Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visaThe Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is for elite sportspeople and coaches whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK. Applicants must be internationally established at the highest level of their particular sport. The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is for foreign sportspeople intending to stay in the UK in the longer term. If you are intending to stay for less than a year, a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting) visa may be more appropriate
Summary of employer requirementsIf an international company wants to employ a skilled worker from outside the European Economic Area on a Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer) visa it must first
- Register with the UK Border Agency and obtain a Sponsorship License
- Obtain an endorsement for the applicant from the relevant sport's governing body (see below)
- Issue a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship to the Intra Company Transferee
Endorsement of the applicant by the sport's governing bodyIn order to be allowed to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship, a sponsor must first obtain the endorsement for the applicant from the relevant sport's governing body. The endorsement will confirm that:
- The player or coach is internationally established at the highest level
- The player or coach will make a significant contribution to the development of his or her sport at the highest level in the UK
- The post could not be filled by a suitable settled worker. A settled worker is either a UK national, a national of the European Economic Area or someone who is legally settled in the UK with permission to work.
The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is valid for up to 3 years and 1 month.
If you are responsible for recruitment for a UK sporting club or other organisation and need assistance in obtaining a Tier 2 Sponsorship License then please complete a free evaluation form
Summary of Applicant RequirementsIn order to gain entry into the UK an applicant must satisfy the Tier 2 for Sports People Points Test shown below and acquire the full 70 points.
Tier 2 Points Test for Sports People
- You must meet the Tier 2 Maintenance Requirement for which you are awarded 10 points
- You must meet the Tier 2 English Language Requirement for which you also be awarded 10 points. Sportspeople are not required to speak English as well as other Tier 2 visa holders
- You must be in possession of a valid Tier 2 (Sports People) Certificate of Sponsorship for which you score 50 points
Extension Applications for a Tier 2 Visa for Sports PeopleIn order to extend your Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa, you will need to have been issued with a Certificate of Sponsorship for your continuing employment. It will also be necessary for your employer to apply to your sport's governing body for a fresh endorsement
After a continuous period of residency in the UK for five years, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain providing you meet the conditions put in place by UK immigration at the time of your application. Indefinite leave to remain is permission to remain in the UK indefinitely. It is not the same as naturalisation as a British citizen.